19 January 2016

Vanilla Cupcakes!

Baking is one of my favourite pastimes and there is something about it that is so therapeutic and calming. You will often find me baking in my spare time because it is something that I really enjoy and look forward to doing. For Christmas my parents bought my sister Laura and I a ton of new baking equipment which I am so grateful for and I just couldn't wait to use it all. So last weekend Laura and I excitedly took out all of our new baking gear and made some vanilla cupcakes. We had so much fun baking them! They are so easy to make and they taste delicious! So I thought that I would share with you guys the recipe that we followed to make these super cute and yummy vanilla cupcakes. 


Ingredients
  • 175g butter 
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 3 eggs
  • 175g self-raising flour
Equipment
  • Scales
  • Mixing bowl
  • Sieve 
  • Measuring spoons
  • Wooden spoon or electric whisk 


Firstly you preheat your oven to 170 C or Gas 3. Then you mix the butter and the sugar together in a large mixing bowl until it looks light and fluffy. Next you add the vanilla extract and crack in the eggs. I crack the eggs into a separate bowl before adding them into the mixture because, without fail, I manage to get shell in it every time. Then you want to continue to mix it all together. (Totally thought of Hannah Montana there! Haha!) After that you sift the flour into the bowl, a little bit at a time. Once you have added all of the flour, you again continue to mix until it is really smooth. Once you have a smooth mixture, you can separate it into cupcake cases. I managed to make 20 cupcakes but it really depends on the size of your cupcake or fairy cake cases.  Leave them in the oven to bake for around 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them because again it can differ for everyone. My first batch of cupcakes were ready after 20 minutes but the second batch took longer than 20 minutes. They should look slightly golden and if you touch them, they should bounce back up. If they don't do this then leave them in the oven for a little longer. Leave the cupcakes to cool for around 30 minutes and then you can decorate them however you wish. Keep reading if you want to find out how to make the perfect vanilla buttercream icing. 

These cupcake cases are super cute and fun!
For the Buttercream Icing

Ingredients
  • 100g unsalted butter 
  • 500g icing sugar 
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 50 - 100ml milk
Equipment
  • Scales
  • Mixing bowl
  • Wooden spoon or electric whisk
  • Measuring spoons
  • Measuring jug
  • Piping bag or palette knife 

Firstly beat the butter in a bowl until is very light and fluffy. Gradually sift the icing sugar into the bowl and mix together. Honestly, add the icing sugar in bit by bit as it really does go everywhere! Next add in the vanilla extract and then add in 50ml of milk. For me, 50ml of milk wasn't enough as the icing wasn't smooth enough so I ended up just adding in more milk until I reached my desired consistency. Overall, I added around 100ml of milk into the mixture. Then you just go ahead and start putting the icing on the cupcakes using either a palette knife or a piping bag. For decoration I added coloured strands and silver crisp pearls which are simple but cute. Of course, you can decorate your cupcakes however you wish and be as creative as you like! 

      

So definitely try out this recipe and let me know what you think! I'd love to know what you guys use to decorate your cupcakes and let me know what your favourite thing to bake is. I really enjoyed making these cupcakes, apart from burning myself when I took the cupcakes out of the oven! But that was me just being careless, so serves me right! Anyway, this is what the cupcakes turned out like! I think they look so cute and girly! 


Thanks so much for reading! X

Lucille Xox98
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lucille | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig